The Singapore Permanent Residence (PR) is a privileged visa that encourages foreign specialists, certain types of investors, and family members of Singapore residents to work and keep staying in Singapore continuously.
However, being a Permanent Resident of the Singapore region also comes with duties. Young sons who are permanent residents of Singapore must be part of the military by the age of 16.5 years and serve for 2 years. They must also participate in 40 days of Operationally Ready National Service every year until they reach the age of 50 or 40, depending on their ranks.
Who is Eligible for the Singapore PR Visa?
- Legally married partners of Singapore PRs or citizens
- Unmarried children (under 21 years), provided they are born out of a legal marriage or have been legally adopted, of Singapore PR holders and citizens
- Elderly parents of a resident
- Students studying in an institution within Singapore
- Holders of Employment passes and S passes (along with personalized job pass and EntrePass holders)
- Foreign investors who apply to the Singapore Economic Development Board under the Global Investor Program.
Different PR Categories will require slightly different documents but the common items are listed below:
- Your valid SingPass
- A passport-sized photograph in color with a size of 35 mm by 45 mm and pixel size of 400 by 514. The photo is to be set against a white background with the face fully visible facing the camera.
- Holders of passes will require Employer Details in a prescribed format.
- A valid work or immigration pass passport that will not expire for the next 6 months
- Identity Documents
- Birth Certificates (for children of PR holder or citizen)
- Custody papers in case of separation from spouse
- Certificates of Most Advanced Educational Attainment
- Employer’s letter describing the nature of work (for work pass holders), basic salary
- 6-month payslips
- Company or Partnership registration certificates
- Professionals would require a valid license to practice
- IRAS/CPF consent forms to confirm financial details provided
Application Process for the Singapore PR
- You can submit your application via the e-PR website run by the Immigration Checkpoints Authority (ICA).
- You will first need to login using your SingPass (a digital identity issued by the Singapore Government for transacting with itself.
- Next, you will be given a questionnaire on the online system that determines whether you are eligible or not.
- Next, choose your PR category (Spouse/Child/Elderly Parent/E Pass/S Pass).
- You can either download the PR application form, fill it in with the information required and upload it again, or you can fill the entire form online.
- Once the application process begins, you have 7 days or 168 hours to complete it.
- You can edit/review multiple applications for family members or sponsored pass holders.
- After all the documents have been uploaded (size limit is 2 MB), you will need to make a fee payment to successfully complete the process.